Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Decay of a Roar













The Decay of a Roar

"Imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" taken from “Wabi-Sabi” a Japanese view towards beauty.

(1 meter) 3 feet in length,made in six days, using clay armature wires and pine cones.

Challenges:

One of the main challenges that I had to deal with is time restriction. Building a life size lion head is really challenging in six days where there is no room for mistakes. Thats why, I had to undergo through lots of studies for the anatomical and muscular structure of a lion head by doing many sketches and determining measurements for individual parts of the structure. Being dedicated to a project comes with plenty of sacrifices. Missing up my diet and getting ten hours of sleep in three days are two of the many sacrifices that I had to make for completing this project.

Materials:

Before I actually started this concept, I was exploring materials like plastic, strings, and water to incorporate them with pine cones which were the star of the show. Then after I decided to build a lion head, the pine cones became a secondary ingredient, resembling the lion's hair. But they also played a big role in creating contrast with the air-drying clay which make them act as a complementary medium. Furthermore, the armature wires (three sizes different in thickness) is the main structure that holds the clay and the pine cones together, a wire net also was used to avoid using a lot of clay that will make the sculpture really heavy. As I started working with the sculpture I had to experiment a lot with the materials and push them to their limits. 

Note: A tribute to my older brother, who had a terrible car accident three weeks ago. So by doing this project in less than week, I feel that I've channeled his endurance and suffering through me to the project, stating that he is a lion and he'll get through the recovery in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment